Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Giving Up Too Early

Mario, one of my instructors, has recently bee getting onto me about letting go of submissions too early. This happens mostly with chokes. I'll have someone in a choke, hold it for a few seconds and, when they don't tap, I let them go.

"You had it!" he tells me, "Why did you let it go?"

And I usually shrug and say, "I didn't think I had it."

I think I do this a lot in other areas of my life. I don't like it when people are angry at me. I don't like drama/confrontation. Also, if things don't work immediately--for example, if I start up a new service ministry for the youth group and only two kids show up on the first day--I doubt myself and wonder if I am doing the right thing. In the face of angry people or seemingly failed plans, sometimes I abandon them and move onto other things.

Maybe I'm giving up too early.

I try to remember this principle: If it was easy, everyone would do it. It's true about diet and exercise. If being in shape was easy, America wouldn't be full of fatties. But saying no to that extra cookie and getting up early to work out aren't easy. Hence the spare tires.

Same is true of a lot of ventures in life. Just because I meet a little resistance doesn't mean I'm "doing it wrong". In fact, it might mean I'm doing it right and stepping on a few toes of the people who want to keep on the path of least resistance.

3 comments:

  1. Ya know, Allie, I don't think these posts would be AT ALL out of place on your other blog. You're fine making a separate one, if you want... and I like "gripfight" as a name.. but then again, if your audience doesn't wanna read your analogies, they don't have to! The thing is, all these thoughts are part of your experience. You're just watering down (in my unasked for and trying-to-be-humble opinion) both blogs by separating them out. Just me :)

    Love your writing and don't mind going to two separate sites for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many bjj principles that can be applied to life. BJJ is more then a martial art, it's a way of thinking, it's an entire philosophy. Took me years to realize this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! Glad to hear you like the new blog. I'm not a very good philosopher, but I do like to play around with the ideas behind the sport. And, Georgette, thanks so much for giving me your honest opinion. I love that I can count on you to tell me what you really think! (I mean that seriously. So many people are too p.c. about things). I think I will keep them separate for now and post links to these blogs on my other blog. If they want to read it, they can. If not, they're not getting smacked in the face with my nerdy musings. ;)

    ReplyDelete